Free - Learn Guitar E-book

Enter form below and we'll send FREE Guitar e-book (Beginners Guide To Playing The Guitar) direct to you.
    Your Name:
*  Your email address:
*  Preferred Format:

Free - Learn Piano E-book

Enter form below and we'll send FREE Learn Piano e-book (Beginners Guide To Playing The Piano) direct to you.
    Your Name:
*  Your email address:
*  Preferred Format:

Friday, February 20, 2009

do you like madonnas music

Do You Like Madonna's MusicWriten by Douglas Bower

Madonna's music: I could care less about it. Madonna's stage and video acts: Nope! I do not like her music, although she is a talented singer and dancer. I loved her in Evita. But her popular stuff, I would never spend a dime on it.

Notice I don't say it's trash and YOU should not waste your money on it. I cannot say it because the reality is enough people like it to have made the woman a Gazillionaire many times over. For me to say it's a waste of money, or I want to prevent others from throwing their money away would not just be ridiculous but I would make myself look stupid. That I do not like Madonna's music does not constitute proof for my belief it is bad music and the consequent claim her music is a waste of your money. To come out publicly and say something like,

Don't waste your money.

What worthless amateurish drivel.

There is absolutely nothing worthwhile in her music.

and not offer proof for your claim is not just ridiculously silly but grossly irresponsible. It is not a well thought-out, and well-structured argument. It is, if you think about it, hurtful to the person you claim to be criticizing.

I happen to have been a music major at the University of Kansas. I also had enough hours to take a minor in music theory and composition. I have, therefore, a unique perspective in making a judgment call, evaluation, or review on the musicality of Madonna's music. If I wanted to review Madonna's music, I would do so as a musician. I would have the background and skills to make an informed, rational, and critical review. I would not be reviewing her music based on my personal tastes. That would be unfair. I would do so with insight and would say things related to the musicality of her music.

I would not say, Don't waste your money on her music because I didn't care for it.

That would not be a review.

I do not even know what to call it: screed?

And besides, it is unfair to the artist and maybe even unethical. Just because YOU spent money on a CD or a concert ticket and were disappointedit did not appeal to YOUR tastesdoes not give you license to trash it. Others who have a higher degree of musical training than you may see the situation differently. They may contradict you with an insightful review.

I guess some people do not care when they are made to look silly.

Much of the American public does not know how to give an insightful review of a book, concert, singer, opera, or whatever. They make their judgments based on whether or not it appealed to them and not whether it met the objective standards of its genre.

Your tastes are not the objective criteria by which to judge anything done by someone else. At best, all you can say to someone is, I didn't like it, but I may be wrong.

Many also review a play, concert, book, or movie based on what they thought it should be and not for what it was. They review a travelogue as though it was a piece of fiction and that is wrong. They complain over something that they believed (subjectivism) should have been in the book as though the author was supposed to know this to prevent their nasty disappointment and subsequent vicious screed.

And here is the kicker: They will trash something without a modicum of insight in the face of wonderful reviewers who bothered to do their homework and offer insightful reviews.

Lack of Insight Reviewer: There was absolutely nothing worthwhile in thisdo not waste you money.

Insightful Reviewer: This work has the ring of authenticity and one of the best I've seen on the market today.

So, who's right?

Some will say that the fact they spent THEIR money on the work entitles them to trash it.

Ahhhhthe joys of I am an Entitled American!

Well, I still wouldn't pay a dime for a Madonna's concert, CD, or video.

But, I could be wrong.

www.lulu.com/content/170441 You CAN Learn Spanish or Any Language is loaded with practical suggestions to follow whether you want to study a second language at home or abroad. In addition to practical ideas, the author also provides a strategy of how to learn a language. The truth of the matter is that most of the language programs you buy are not that great. The author has weeded out the ones that could be a waste of money and provided an excellent list of language schools, self-study course books, workbooks, and language reference books. Just the ideas on what to do before spending money on an overseas language school can save a person thousands of dollars and endless frustration.


See Online Music Lessons at > http://www.entertainbox.com/